Monday 14 October 2013

Shedding light ............

That was a dire heading right?

Like the radio DJ that does the cringey link between stories. Anyway - it's all I got right now!!!

These two dressers totally didn't start out meaning to be like this. (no I mean really really)

The first looked like this


I mean, um what do you do with it! It sat in the kitchen looking at me. I returned the favour. We had coffee, chatted, exchanged small talk. Nothing. So like most of my stuff I dove, dived? divered??? in and started painting. Now I like off white, but the shape of this didn't call for the "french provincial court of Louis the 500th" style. 

I haven't used milk paint btw, not yet. In my day job as a 'normal' house painter / mural artist - I use the standard acrylics / latex / alkyds. It's what  know. So my furniture (for now if it's painted) is always primed / coated with at least 2 top coats of a cabinet grade finish, and then lacquered for protection.

So anyway, I painted it cream and then decided that the outside would be nice in a charcoal grey, with some or other oldy worldy image in the middle. You can see the vision hey! No - yeah I couldn't either at that time.
So I grabbed what I thought was a colour chip for a charcoal grey, paint store mixed it, and when they checked it - it was a really really deep navy blue. OMG really?

But being the pushover I am I said "don't worry I'll take it anyway" and drove home thinking I should have said something.

Fast forward to the finished article (because I can talk like forever) - after the blue went on - the penny dropped. That's it!!!! Eureka (cept I was neither naked nor in the bath). Its nautical colours!!!!!



I loved how it turned out, so it was advertised for sale, and fortunately so did a few other people!!!!! So much so that one lady (who collected lighthouses) custom ordered another one. Now - I did have a dresser set that i'd purchased to refinish as a set, but the lady saw the tall one and fell in love with it, so again I caved and agreed to separate it from it's bigger, longer, sleeker brother.

It went from this



To this.........





It turned out awesome. On a real happy note, the people that bought the first dresser, also saw the second one when they came to collect theirs, so have custom ordered the other half of the above set, so this.....


will be done in another nautical theme (with pirate ships / anchors and all that fun stuff)!!!

So i'll be updating with the progress of this one as it happens!

Hope you enoyed todays visit to the seaside :)





No comments:

Post a Comment