Thursday 2 January 2014

White distressed dresser with wallpaper accents

Happy New Year all :)

I say all but I really have no idea if anyone reads this or not!?

You know I promised the dresser before Xmas? I lied!!!!

I've only just semi got it finished today - eeeek! This was really a fun one to do. The dresser was for a lovely young ladys room, so it can't be too childish, but it still needs to be fun / modern.

Here is what it was like before


Lovely sturdy dresser, and a big eyesore of a mirrored shelf  (I hope my customer won't mind me saying that) because these super (and still very beautifully built) older dressers must have had an identity crisis when the top part was being designed.

Theres two things you can do with these.

1) Ditch the top

2) Have fun with it 

We obviously did number 2 because when all said and done, there's a big mirror there, and also handy shelves for nick nacks and what not!!!!


Start by priming and two top coats of a lovely off white "Mayonnaise" (Benjamin Moore colour in the Advance line - not real mayonnaise!!!)

Then get some funky paper as chosen by the recipient of this dresser and line all of the drawers

Then stand back and look at the 'mirror' part for hours and think "what on earth can I do with this???"


Get some more paper and stick it on lol


Finally add stripes for contrast, but also to make the lovely spindle design at the front blend in!!!!
I have to say at this point the name is no longer on the dresser and it has been blacked out and taped off ready for more stripes - and I think that was the right choice. 

I hope you like it - I can imagine all kinds of fun bright coloured things being displayed on this :)



2 comments:

  1. Very nice. Never would have imaged this. I've seen these dressers on Craigslist and I just move on. But this gave me some ideas. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome and thank you for commenting - t does seem a shame to get rid of what can be a useful space, nothing wrong with trimming down the curved trim to minimise the fluffiness either!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete