Wednesday 11 December 2013

Nautical dresser done!

This is just a real quickie - though I will share what I've been doing in my 'full time job" too :)

Finally managed to get the dresser finished


The customer actually came up with the idea of writing "Let your dreams set sail" on the drawer which is really cool :) Apologies for the reflection in the mirror - isn't my kitchen table just the epitome of organisation!!!!

Cool! Well as I've said many times before - I'm a house painter / mural person / cabinet maker overy (overy - that sounds like ovary hmmmmm) person. So currently I'm working on a full interior reno. But I did want to share some kitchen cabinets

Heres the before



No in bad condition, but the colour was old and dated - as were the handles in the centre of them. When I do this kind of work I always give the customer options - ie fastest and cheapest way is to paint them, way to get the best possible finish is to totally strip everything back, and restain / lacquer, more cost effective but still able to see wood grain through is to use a tinted poly. However the finish isn't as perfect as stripping etc and the colours are somewhat limited. Customer went for option 3

Heres how they turned out after 5 coats of stain and 2 coats of poly finish


What a difference stripping off wallpaper and refinishing cabinets makes (I have to wait to paint the kitchen as new counters are going in etc!

Last share post for you all is my Christmas mantel - just cos it's the season :)



Loved the ice skate idea that I saw on a few searches on Google - so blatantly copied it :) Also made the fireplace mantel myself (when I say myself my amazing hubby cut the wood for me!!!!) out of 2x8's - beaten to death with a hammer etc and then stained!!!!!

While I'm at it - here's another Xmas display atop of something else I made


Super easy factory cart coffee table taken from plans here  I LOVE Ana Whites site for making the coolest things for next to nothing!!! Always a bonus in my books!!!!

Hope you enjoyed todays pic fest :)


2 comments:

  1. Love seeing all the things you do, wishing you and yours the best the season has to offer, take care :-)

    ReplyDelete